Tuesday, March 15, 2011

For those who are still interested....

First of all, happy birthday to my sweet Lucy. Breakfast cake was enjoyed with Gusto at Chez Psychic.

Brooklyn is obviously still with us. After making lots of progress, including getting a job, and a place to live, and completing nearly all elements of the caseplan and proceeding to unsupervised visits, her mom... disappeared. This is not the first time this has happened, but I suspect it will be the last. Brooklyn's next hearing is scheduled for June, and from what c/w is telling me based on information (which I do not know) from the probation officer, Brooklyn's mom would have to start all over on the caseplan.

I am thinking this must mean she is in really bad shape. Since they have already filed a first extension, it's unlikely that one more extension (which is all that is allowable by Federal law) would be enough time, even if she resurfaced right away. Which she didn't.

So we're left having dinner conversations about how sometimes adults use medicine that they shouldn't, and when that happens they can't make good choices for their babies, so it's not safe for babies to live there. And saying "I don't know" when asked when we might see Mama M. again. And watching an almost-three-year old look disappointed and confused.

Which is really nothing compared to what this is like for Brooklyn's older brother who "stays with" Mom's cousin. He was (until about 6 weeks ago) visiting regularly with his Mom, spending weekends with her. He is old enough to really and truly understand what's going on, and I can't imagine what this is like for him.

I am angry. But I also feel badly for Mama M. I know that this addiction is something she has fought so hard against and I do know that deep down she loves Brooklyn. That said I can't fathom an instance in which I would let anything stand between me and my children - not drugs, or a caseplan, or a boyfriend. Nothing.

That ambivalence is rough. Not nearly as rough as what Brooklyn and her brother do (and will) have to deal with. I've got the easy road here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

are you guys planning to adopt her then?

Renee