Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A parenting win!!

Overheard when playing with dolls yesterday:

"Here, Lucy, you be the dad. Take these babies because I have to go to work."

Lily then hitched her purse over her shoulder, walked to the door and said, "Bye, babies, love you, I've got to go to work now."

My mom says I'm warping them. I consider it a win in my quest to turn my children into mini-mes. But no, really, I was super excited to see them reject a traditional gender stereotype (that the stay at home parent is female) even if it's only because they are not aware of said stereotype, yet. I consider it inoculation.

5 comments:

Leslie said...

AMAZING!! My mom was proud that as a kid I had no idea what to do in the kitchen area of the daycare playhouse and asked what the iron was because I'd never seen one :-)

Deborah said...

That is really awesome! When my sister and I were kids, we played dress-up and told our mom we were going to work, like mommy. She was proud and asked us what kind of work we did... and we said, "cleaning the house!" Whoops.

Amanda said...

Yeah, the last time Lily and I talked about what she wanted to be, she told me a princess. I suggested lone liberal hold out on the Supreme Court and she said, "No, I think I be a princess."

Anonymous said...

Princess is good. Wish I was one.

When (my) Amanda was little, she wanted to either be a teacher or a Target cashier.....

Barb

Oldqueen44 said...

When one of my girls was little she wanted to be either a zoologist or a Vegas show girl. She ended up being a very happy SAHM.