Thursday, June 24, 2010

Oh yeah, and that whole ankle thing....

Remember my pseudo-fracture from a couple years back? Well, I did something similar close to two weeks ago. Because that's just how I roll.

But this time, I've got FIVE torn ligaments and a new ortho who is STRONGLY ADVISING (read: pretty much insisting in his best "I'm an expert, listen to me, dummy" voice) that I have surgery on the damn thing. Which you know, OK, I hate all things medical, and I think we all know that my control issues make surgery (especially anesthesia) pretty unbearable, right?

But the awesomeness of this particular procedure is even more pronounced after the actual surgery. Feel free to stop reading at this point, but if you're interested in the whole process here it is:

  • Surgery in one of my least favorite hospitals (because that's where this doc operates)
  • During surgery, he'll either sew together my five mishapen misshapen fucked up ligaments OR, remove part of one of my tendons and just start over from scratch.
  • Overnight stay in said hospital (AWESOME!)
  • Two weeks to let my incision heal. Ankle to be iced 45 minutes for every 1 hour I'm awak, and elevated any time I am not actively hobbling somewhere (because, hello? If you've seen my on crutches it is U.G.L.Y.)
  • A hard cast to my knee for three weeks. No weight bearing at all. Nurse claims that if I put any weight on it, it will break.. I'm thinking this could be kind of a fib, along the lines of dye in the pool will make pee turn colors.
  • Removal of first cast, MRI to check my foot.
  • Potential reapplication of second cast, if necessary
  • Physical therapy 3X per week for 3 - 6 weeks, goal of partial weightbearing at the end.
So, yeah. You know, obviously it's just my ankle, and obviously it could be WAY worse. It's temporary, it'll heal. I'm glad it's me and not one of the girls. I just wish I could like shack up in a nursing home for the duration because I hate asking my family and friends to do things for me. The one who really gets the shaft here is PB, of course. Now he'll have three (sometimes pissy, always feisty) women to take care of. Poor Guy.

1 comment:

JUST A MOM said...

OUCH!!!