Tuesday, September 02, 2008

I am appalling

So, you know this is a political time of year and you know I'm not one for hiding my opinions on most issues. I gotta say that McCain's VP announcement is probably going to start a whole season of anger for me.

People are already attacking her for being back to work very soon after her child was born, for even daring to consider becoming vice president when she has an infant son.

Because you know, being a mom, and being a smart, competent, driven professional are diametrically opposed, right?

A friend of a friend, told said friend that even as a feminist, she found it "appalling" that she was back to work so soon after having a baby with Down's syndrome. Which I guess must make me a monster because I was back to work the day after both of our girls came home with us. And I continue to work full time, as does PB.

We suck :-)

The thing is Palin is damned if she does and damned if she doesn't. She didn't take any time off? There must be something wrong with her as a woman, hell as a person - what kind of freak would do that? And who cares if she is the GOVERNOR OF AN ENTIRE STATE. But if she had taken 3 months off after his birth? Well, then, clearly she wasn't serious about her job. Because otherwise she would have been back to work right away. Repeat, ad nauseam, as necessary.

That pisses me right off. What difference does it make and why is Palin anymore defined by her status as a mother than John McCain or Barack Obama are by their status' as father? I bet Obama didn't take much time off after either of his kids were born, and hell, McCain's wife brought home a baby he didn't even know about, at least according to his oh-so-charming campaign stories about adoption. Why aren't we talking about that?

I mean, really, if you're looking for a reason to be upset with Palin, there are a ton of others - apparently she did actually fly home from Texas after her water broke (without telling the flight crew), she is currently under investigation for her role in trying to have her ex-brother-in-law fired, she seems to be kind of shying away from the truth about her real stand on the bridge to nowhere AND she is running on an astinence only platform while her teenage daughter is pregnant. That last piece of news makes me so sad I won't even make fun of her kids' names, at least not directly.

2 comments:

MommyNay said...

Well I didn't feel like we were ready for Hillary and I think if any woman in this country is prepared to lead it its her. I mean come on we all know she's already been in office before(wink)
But where the hell did this 40 year old mom of 5 come from and how can any of us expect her to be Commander and Chief of our COUNTRY (and yes I think it matters that her family is in crisis(though I can appreciate that's a matter of opinion)) It all just leaves me shaking my head. As I posted on Susan's blog I watched the Republican National Convention in horror, it was like spoof movie...only it was REAL. It scares me to think of having her in office and I sincerely hope they do remove her from the running. This isn't The Princess Diaries.

Dream Mommy said...

I couldn't take off work when Smiley arrived, but that doesn't mean I love him less. I was not yet protected by family medical leave and being a SAHM for me means no health insurance for me. How can I be a good mother if I can't have access to medical care I need.

I'm sure she could manage being a SAHM, but not all women can. I would love nothing more than to be able to take 3 mos off, but sometimes it's not financaily possible and moms shouldn't be judged for that.