Thursday, July 17, 2008

Oh, and about the inlaws...

maybe I haven't posted it here before, but we don't have the world's greatest relationship.

So, honestly, I was *waiting* for an excuse. But yes, she did know that Lily doesn't get pop and this was her second try - she was almost banned for allowing my nephew to feed her gummi bears when she was 4 months old. And laughing about it. She also mixed my nephew's formula with the fruit water stuff from walmart that has aspartame, and laughed about how pissed his mom was that he wouldn't drink baby formula mixed with plain water - at 2 months old! So overall, I can't say I trust her nutritional instincts.

But mostly, the pop thing is annoying because it's disrespectful. I mean, my mom thinks we're a little nuts about food stuff too, but she listens to our opinions and doesn't go against them. Because, you know, I'm the mama.

I do kind of have a hang up about what she eats - I'll admit that. But one of my big goals as a parent is to help my kids develop healthier habits than I have. It's not just about sugar - I really try to avoid processed foods for her as much as possible and buy organic when I can afford it. But I promise, she's not deprived. She gets her cookies and candy (mostly from my mom who always asks first). We just try not to make it an everyday thing.

6 comments:

Kathryn said...

oh my gosh - i'd be soooo angry about that stuff! so not cool!

Anonymous said...

OK. I take back everything I said. Well, everything other than my moderation comment. I didn't realize the whole picture and I do agree that if you've ALREADY told them *the food rules* then they should abide. HOWEVER, in my experience, grandparents will be grandparents and will try and sneak the occasional treat. That's what I don't see a problem with. As the girls get older, you're gonna have bigger battles to fight than them drinking pop. There. I'm off my soap box. - Barb

Rebecca said...

I don't think it's cool, especially since children of most any age just don't need refined sugar. They don't need all that juice. They need good basic unprocessed food and water. They will never, ever need Sprite or Coke.

I don't understand people that just can't accept and respect another adult's decision. As soon as MIL wants to go take all the classes needed for your foster license and deal with the ramifications of promoting a diet of sugar and processed food, then have at it. Otherwise, respect the damn rules!

It's one thing for Grandma to give them a treat like a cookie at age 5; it's a far different matter to be pushing the grandma agenda on infants and toddlers.

Just respect the rules and no one gets hurt, especially the kids!

LBC said...

I am on the limit-the-sugar train, too. My mom grew up not eating a lot of sugar, so she said she didn't crave it. She planned to raise me that way, but she had to leave me with my paternal grandmother a lot and that woman is big on the sugar. She did not respect my mom's request to not load me up with sugar. I grew up with a sweet tooth, had lots of cavities and was always heavier than I should have been. Maybe my grandmother pushing sweets on me had no effect, but there's no way to know if things would have been different had she deferred to my mom. My in-laws sneak the treats into my toddler, as well, but they know not to push it.

Runergirl said...

That is so disrespectful! Why do people do that? I agree with you 100% and would not let her watch my child!

JUST A MOM said...

hahahha ok yeah see the whole she knew thing would chap my bum for sure.... I personaly think you can go over board on some things,,, I DID ... BUT IT IS YOUR (THE MOMMY) COICE,, I agree she should follow what you want.... good luck on that one