Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I wish I had something interesting to say

Before I get started, big, wet, sloppy, congratulations kisses to Rae, who had her miracle baby during my week of radio silence.

Now, part of the whole I no longer appear to be blogging thing is I haven't had a new placement for a while and Lily's case is in pretty much a holding pattern. She continues to visit with her PGM, her biodad is in rehab... PGM has told me that she "prays every day" that Lily will stay with us. That means that Lily's dad is really the only possible placement for her. He is young and lives with his parents and apparently has some anxiety / depression / and obviously, substance abuse issues. However, it is definitely still possible that she will end up with him. But right now, no real foster care drama to blog about.

PB's family has been behaving themselves... well, they were until relatively recently and now my MIL is banned from watching our children because she gave Lily (my 15 month old daughter!!!!) Sprite. But other than that, nothing huge.

Work is another story, but one I don't want to get into. Suffice it to say that if our pending business sale (and therefore me getting a new boss) doesn't happen before the end of the summer, Mama's gotta find a new cubicle to crunch numbers in. Oh, and this legal consulting stuff? Very cool, but very difficult and v.v.very time consuming.

So that's where my head is right now. How is everyone else's summer going? And, what in the name of all that is holy, would be interesting for me to blog about?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amanda, Your poor in-laws!! Seriously, now, to ban them from babysitting for a little soda?! I'm gonna have to have a talk with you!! :) Barb

Deborah said...

You could always just blog about your kids and what they're up to. I wouldn't mind that.

Amy said...

What on earth is wrong with people? We don't give Ava soda or sweets (seriously - the kid has only had one bite of birthday cake and a few licks of my ice cream cone since she's been with us) but it seems like everyone wants to load her up with sugar. We were at a barbecue yesterday evening and before I could stop it someone handed her a chocolate chip cookie as big as her head.

I took it from her, lectured the person who did it, and ate it myself. :)

I don't blame you for banning them. I would do the same. I see it as a lack of respect for your rules for your kid.

Anonymous said...

Wow - you guys are a tough crowd....my kids had both soda AND sweets and turned out just fine. They're 14 and 17 and neither has ever had a cavity (nor any other sugar-related issues). Moderation, ladies, moderation. :) Barb

JUST A MOM said...

I think i have to side iwth Barb. But did grandma KNOW you did not want her to have soda? or as I call it pop hehe. It so coud have been so much worse. Hang in there and I so hope that all works out. Just letting us know how things are is good. 15 months wow does your state have a cut off time for getting a child in permanent placement?

Rebecca said...

I think if the rule is no sugar, no soda, no candy, whatever then that's the rule and I don't care what your relationship is - you repect the parents' rules.

The US have the highest incidence of juvenile diabetes and weight issues in the western world, and the highest the US has ever seen and we should pat Grandma on the back and give her a break for promoting poor eating habits?

If Amanda says no soda or no grapes or no cigarettes, then that's the way it is. For MIL to do the exact opposite of what she's requested or stated is nothing more than blatant disrespect.

I'm happy you encourage water, fresh fruits and veggies and the "treats" are just that - a treat in which you decide when it's appropriate.

Obviously it's a trigger point - I've battled weight all my life and it could have been so easy to just promote water and fruit over kool-aid and cookies and perhaps have eliminated the weight and potential health issues.

Tamara said...

I agree. While I might have let my kidos taste ice cream or soda by that age, both sides of our family always ask "can she have so and so". It's just polite to ask what the rules are first and then abide by them.

Tamara said...

I agree. While I might have let my kidos taste ice cream or soda by that age, both sides of our family always ask "can she have so and so". It's just polite to ask what the rules are first and then abide by them.