Thursday, March 20, 2008

I'm glad I came

In the end, I couldn't wait until Saturday to come back up again. I really felt like I needed to see Baby Girl again, and she needed to see me too. The last part is probably false - her mom and dad have been visiting each day when we can't be there so she's got plenty of love.

Once I got back up here, it was just like last weekend - they gave me a room to visit in and let me stay with her as much as I wanted. I met the social worker, who was much more pleasant than I was expecting and I also met with our social worker from the agency. I had a really great conversation with the nurse practitioner and have, generally, had nothing but a warm reception from the staff.

It looks like mom and dad will do the permanent surrender and we will officially be Baby Girl's future adoptive parents on Tuesday at 2:00pm. Mom is still very emotional about all of this, so there is still a chance it might not happen. That said, I think that Mom and Dad both feel that placing Baby Girl would be the best decision for her. I feel so badly for them - it's hard to watch.

It's also hard because I really want to keep reminding them that they don't have to place her with us. But I've already had that conversation with them a couple of times and I don't want them to think that I don't respect their judgement, etc. I also think they are probably right in their evaluation of their ability to parent her in the immediate future. They are both addicted to some very nasty drugs. He is still actively using and she is on methadone, and will attempt to get clean once she feels like she is past the post-partum period. THat doesn't mean they couldn't turn it around and parent her, it does mean it would be very challenging for a while.

Baby Girl herself is doing very well. If things keep up the way they are right now (i.e. her w/d scores stay low and she continues to eat well) it looks like she will be discharged on Tuesday - we will be able to sign the papers, pick up our girl and BRING HER HOME. Keep your fingers and toes crossed for us.

4 comments:

MommyNay said...

I have everything crossed! I am holding my breath until Tuesday and then you better believe Ill be crying with you when you bring your daughter home!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Yaah...everything crossed for a good outcome on Tues...how exciting.

Mama2BandT

FosterMommy said...

I'm so excited for you guys! Though I can't imagine what kind of busy you're going to be with a newborn and Lily!

Dawn said...

I will be thinking and praying for you all! I know it seems like Tuesday will never get here, eh?