Tuesday, March 18, 2008

I am convinced

I voted for Obama in our recent primary, and it was one of the hardest things I've ever done.

I count myself lucky to live in a nation where I had to choose whether to vote for a female candidate or a black one. I count myself lucky to feel that my choice in the primary was between two people who I would be equally thrilled about being the next president.

The feminist in me was SCREAMING to vote for Hillary. Not only because she is a woman (I happen to think she would be a fine president) but at least partly because she is a woman. And how freakin cool would it be to tell my daughters that I helped elect the first woman president? In the end, I voted for Obama because I think he is more electable. But I have to admit, I almost cried when I did it.

After hearing the speech he delivered today, I am firmly convinced that I did the right thing. I have never heard a politician (or really anyone) for that matter, speak so eloquently about issues of race and inequality. If Obama wins the nomination and the candidacy, I think today's speech will go down in history.

I'm proud that I voted for him in the primary.

No comments: