Monday, December 24, 2007

Craziness

OK. I can't believe it's Christmas Eve. Christmas Eve, people! How did this happen?

Friday was a crazy day - Lily was visiting with her bio-aunt all day (as she does every Friday) when I got a scary call at work.

Before I go any further - LILY IS FINE. Quite well, actually. Not bothered at all.

Aunt A: I have some bad news for you.

ME (thinking): OMG OMG OMG OMG WTF is going on?

ME (saying - somewhat calmly): What? What happened?

Aunt A (crying): I was taking a pizza out of the oven when..... SOMETHING SOMETHING SOMETHING SOMETHING.... Lily got burnt.

Turns out Lily made a mad crawling dash across the kitchen just as Aunt A. was removing a pizza from the oven and somehow managed to burn her palm. I don't think she touched the actual element - her palm is blistered but not severely burnt. She appears to be completely unphased by the burn - even when it's uncovered and in warm bath water, it doesn't seem to bother her. She lets us put cream on it and bandage it with absolutely no trouble - which is pretty funny actually, because she fights like hell against diaper changes these days.

But since she is in care it becomes a huge issue.

It necessitates a trip to the doctor, who was highly suspicious of me (despite my assurances that she was not in my care, that I saw nothing suspicious, etc.). It necessitates a 24 page report- which I still have to fill out and submit today. It necessitates calls to supervisors because regular caseworkers weren't in, and those supervisors mentioned the words like "hotline" and "investigation", which makes my blood run cold even though I won't be the subject of the calls and investigations.

I can totally understand how an accident like this can happen - she is really fast, and the burn (all things considered) is really minor. Lily's aunt feels like crap, has called repeatedly to check on her, and I really think probably is suffering more over this than Lily is.

I can also understand why this needs to be taken seriously by the County. I just wish I didn't have to be involved.

7 comments:

CA Momma said...

Holy Crap! I am so glad Lily is Ok. But yeesh, could this be any more stressful?

Amy said...

So sorry about this, Amanda - for Lily and her owie and for you because of all the extra paperwork and stuff that you now have to deal with.

Hope you're enjoying the holiday with the little one there in your home!

Dream Mommy said...

that's crazy...and to think the bio parents can bring iguanas to a visit, put it in the baby's face, still my foster daughter's food and feed to her other child who isn't even old enough for cereal, much less baby food...and nothing is said.

Makes me so angry. I don't know how I continue to keep my home open lately.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I didn't even notice Lily's burn - it must be healing fast.

I'm glad to know someone so conscientious about the county's reporting rules, but seriously - why isn't her aunt having to fill out the paperwork, why you?

Rebecca
going back to shaking my head and never understanding why the county does what it does...

rae said...

hey amanda. i'm glad lily is okay. stupid paperwork. *rolls eyes* kids will be kids, we can't keep them in a bubble.
many hugs to you friend.....
rae
www.brokeneggs.wordpress.com
www.backyardmusings.wordpress.com

JUST A MOM said...

oh man I always hated when a "LITTLE" thing happened and they seem to need to make it into a hudge thing. hope she is all better soon

Runergirl said...

Poor Lily!!!! At least she's not in pain. I love how we have to all of the work of a parent but never get any of the credit:)