Monday, November 19, 2007

Lily Update

Lily is flying developmentally! A little over a week ago (Nov. 11) she finger-fed for the first time. R. thought my mom and I were crazy when we got so excited - she plopped her in the high chair and gave her some cheerios and Lily nonchalantly started eating them. 10 minutes later we come in the room and go nuts. Then, this past Sunday (Nov. 18), after napping for about 30 minutes, she started screaming her head off. When I went up to check her, she was standing, having pulled herself up on the crib rail. She crawls everywhere and is actually pretty quick. Guess that means that hard core babyproofing is in order.

As for her case... her mom is still not in touch with the c/w (or her family) as far as I know. Lily is regularly seeing her aunt and her great grandparents. She stays with Aunt A. every Friday while we are at work and her great-grandparents drive up from Jackson to visit her there.

Apparently, "Dad" (you know THE GUY WHO HAS SEEN HER EXACTLY ONCE SINCE SHE WAS BORN ALMOST 8 MONTHS AGO!) wants to pursue custody now - he is supposed to have a DNA test on Monday. I know it's not the right thing to feel or think or say but I can't help it... Lily already has a daddy and he's not this kid who can't be bothered to pursue the case unless the caseworker is hounding him, who didn't show up for 2 out of 3 court dates.

He's the guy who lights up when she reaches for him, who feeds her breakfast, changes her diapers and picks out outfits for specific occasions and is already looking for the perfect Christmas gift for her. It's the guy Lily gives kisses to - yeah, she kisses him and not me, I'm very jealous - the guy who has so many pictures in his cube that I think it compromises his ability to work, and the guy who plays guitar for her in the evening and is trying to teach her to sing along.

He's her daddy. Let's just hope it stays that way.

4 comments:

JUST A MOM said...

ooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh I so know that feeling... I was there and ours told both bio parents that very thing.... You are NOT my daddy MY daddy is out there in the hall..... yep it was hard hang in there

Robin said...

You are her parents. Maybe someday,she will have other parents, but for now that is her daddy and you are her mommy.

Robin said...

You are her parents. Maybe someday,she will have other parents, but for now that is her daddy and you are her mommy.

FosterMommy said...

I know where you're coming from. Niblet's aunt and uncle filed for custody and I'm thinking "where were they for the 16 months she was in foster care and the 2 months she was in the NICU? They never saw her. But they have seen her for weekends and stuff over the past year, so I hope they love her as much as she deserves.

You just never know what's in someone's heart. Nor do you know what the county will do, whether it's for the child's best interest or not. Love her up for now. She'll take it with her wherever she goes. That I know for *sure*.