Monday, April 16, 2007

A new week, a new baby...

Not actually a new baby... Lily's not going anywhere anytime soon. But our first several days with her were really rough. She wasn't sleeping at all. I'm talking sleeping 20 - 30 minutes at a stretch, even when I finally broke down and brought her into bed with us. And I know, that's a no-no, but I could.not.help it. I couldn't think of anything else to do but snuggle her.
Then Thursday rolled around and the baby fairy dropped off a new little girl who looks exactly like Lily but actually sleeps.

AAAAAAAAA. Yes, that's the sound of the heavens opening.

On Thursday I swaddled her up and I almost didn't even try the crib because I was so sure it didn't work. But I rolled up some blankets on each side of her (a simulated snuggle LOL) and gave her her paci and she went right to sleep. Yay! Ever since then, I'm almost embarassed by how well she's been doing - she's sleeping reliably 3 -4 hours at a time. And not to jinx it, but last night, she actually slept for 5 hours. So I caught up on my sleep this weekend and I was actually able to form a somewhat cohesive thought to post here.

She is eating like a champ and gaining weight really well - when we went to the WIC office on Friday, she was up to 5lbs 6oz. Her face is really starting to fill out and she is even awake and alert and happy sometimes.

Still no word from Mom and it's unclear how her case will be handled. I suspect if mom doesn't show for the May and June hearings they will get pretty aggressive with custody, but I don't know for sure. We'll see. I have to admit I've got mixed feelings on this one. With our first two placements, I felt mostly positive about the families the child was going home to. With this one, it's hard to be excited about the idea of a mom who was addicted throughout her pregnancy getting her baby back. It will be interesting to see what she's like if I ever get to meet her.

9 comments:

Robin said...

I'm glad that she is sleeping for you! And as an adopted child myself I think it is outrageous that mothers who took drugs while they were pregnant should ever be able to get their children back.

Dream Mommy said...

I agree but also mom's who chose not to live in a group home to keep their baby shouldn't get them back.
All that happened to Princess and her case plan was never TPR yet(although it would have happened eventually).

I'm glad to hear things are getting better. Enjoy her.

R. said...

Yay that she adjusted so quickly between the change in environment and her DA issues. Five hours - finding wood to knock on.

But only a bit over 5 lbs? I'm glad she's intent on making it up!

TeamWinks said...

Glad all of you got some R&R!

FosterMom said...

Great to hear how well she is doing! So nice when they sleep for long stretches - our baby girl seems to do that, too, at night. Makes for much saner home!

Fostermama said...

When they finally get to that point I still can't sleep because I'm worried something is wrong and keep checking on them! HA! I'm glad things are getting better and you're getting some much needed sleep.

Amanda said...

Lack of sleep is the worst form of torture, isn't it? Glad to hear she's sleeping for you! And 5 lbs 6 oz.? That's so teensy! I'm jealous, I haven't held a baby in ages!

JUST A MOM said...

Hi I am glad you liked my essay and my comment. I will sit and catch up with your blog tomorrow promise. I would like to invite you to read my start of a kinda book I wrote about our adventures in fostercare. We were foster parents for 10 years. I will be back to get to know you better, here is my site for my book,,,,

http://ourrollercoasterride.blogspot.com/

JUST A MOM said...

WOW,,,I HAVE READ THROUGH AND CAUGHT UP ON YOUR BLOG. You sound to me like you are very level heated with just how much and when you can except these bbaies. younger ages alllllways a better plan. Enjoy the ride.