Monday, April 02, 2007

Close calls.

Proving once again that my blog title is so not true, we got not one, but two, placement calls today. So I guess that officially means we're not blackballed.

The first was about 3:30, from the same worker who called with the sibling group of 3. This time it was a 2-year-old boy and his 3-month-old sister. I guess Mom gave the baby to her neighbor, saying she didn't want her. The neighbor then took the baby to the courthouse to adopt her, not realizing there were legal requirements for that sort of thing. This triggered an investigation and the brother was pulled one day later. They had been in their current foster home for one week and the foster mom asked that the brother be removed, because he was too much for her to handle. Of course, they will move the sibling group together.

PB and I turned this one down, too. I know, I know, it's like we don't really want to foster, right? But with both of us working, taking on two kids at once, especially a baby and a 2-year-old felt overwhelming. So, right or wrong, I turned it down. I told the worker I felt badly about it, but that we were really probably going to have to stick to one child at a time. She suggested we officially change our profile to say that. Hmm, a great idea, and why haven't I thought of that myself?

Anyway, we made the change. About half an hour later, I was upstairs talking to my boss when apparently the second call came. It was actually pretty funny. I came back downstairs and my coworker said, "Hey while you were up there, XXX County called." And I said, "Yeah, right and they have a sibling group of 7 for me, right?" I so thought he was kidding.

So, I missed the worker (by this time it was after 5:00) and she just left a message at our home number saying she needed to talk to me tomorrow "about the placement of a baby." I suspect that it is probably a direct from the hospital placement or she would have been a little more frantic about it. But I don't know if it's a boy or a girl or a preemie, or what...

I do know this, I am *so* excited.

When I called PB, he said, "See, we were right. We would have missed this call if we had taken the other placement we were unsure about."

And he's right. But we were both really bummed for the two little ones that won't be placed with us. As usual, I wonder what will happen to them.

3 comments:

Susan said...

My fingers are crossed for you. Let us know what happens!

Rae said...

good luck! update as soon as you can!
hugs
rae
www.backyardmusings.wordpress.com

MommyNay said...

you know I think I know who got these babies! How neat is that!?