On Friday, PB and I got a call from his aunt. PB’s cousin’s girlfriend’s twin brother’s girlfriend is pregnant. Got that? Basically, a friend of our family’s family. That’s much clearer.
Anyway… they (as in both mom and dad) want to place the baby for adoption. And the twin sister (i.e. the potential biological aunt) wanted to know if we were interested. And, the baby is due in July… wait for it… yes, the same month as S.
Initially, we were too shocked to respond positively. Shocked, like first we have no babies. Now, without even pursuing anything with an agency or facilitator, we could (potentially, theoretically, in the abstract) have two babies. BY JULY.
Then we thought, wait, can we afford this? Umm. Not so much. For instance, can we afford the legal fees for two babies? No, but we can borrow. Can we afford formula and diapers for two babies? Ummm… yes, I think, hopefully? What about two cars and two college educations? No, but they can borrow.
Finally, we decided to go for it. As an exercise at work, I started thinking about the probabilities of the various outcomes. Assuming there is a 50/50 chance that either placement will actually occur, and the placements are two independent events, here are the odds:
· There’s a 25% chance we’ll end up with no baby.
· There’s a 25% chance we’ll end up with two babies.
· That means a 75% chance we’ll end up with at least one baby!
And lastly, there is a 100% chance that our home is still open with no calls and a 79.45% chance that we have officially been blackballed. Of course I’m making that last one up. The blackballed part, not the no calls part.
* That extra 0 is intentional. My mom is over the moon excited about this prospect.