Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Food for thought

I recently discovered some new blogs that focus more on transracial adoption and on ethics in adoption. Through one of these blogs (which I can't find right now, aacck!) I found this editorial:

http://tinyurl.com/2d3vl2

It is a great piece questioning why more whites don't adopt tranracially. As a social psychologist, I was particularly drawn to the very first sentence:
Whenever I see a white couple with an Asian or Hispanic child, I can't help wondering whether adoption -- like the personal ads -- is one of the last areas of American life where naked expressions of racial preference are acceptable.
This idea of implicit racism is I think, one of my biggest objections to how the private adoption world works. I think there are probably plenty of high minded, liberal, "anti-racist" whites who exclude African Americans from the potential pool of adoptable babies, and that really, really bothers me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating for these people to take African American babies - perhaps the only thing worse than not being adopted by a subtley racist white person is *being* adopted by one - but I'm not sure they should be allowed to enter the adoption arena at all. Really, I'm not sure what the answer is I just know that it makes me quesy to think about it.

2 comments:

reklaws@insightbb.com said...

Speaking as an open minded liberal white person...

I will say that initially when we began the adoption journey, I thought it would possibly be unfair for us to adopt a black or biracial child. We lived in a tiny town in "The Heartland" in a place where I had neighbors who flew rebel flags and Klan propaganda was passed out freely through town. I still contend that if we lived in that town or one similar to it, that I would not adopt a child of another race due to the fairness to the child. Others can be incredibly cruel.

We finally moved due to having trouble with having some friends of our harassed when they visited because the had a rainbow flag on their car. Being that my one prepubescent son is beginning to identify as gay we chose to get the hell out of there!

Now that I live in a far more liberal college town, I would think nothing of it...

Amanda said...

This is a great point. Sometimes there are situational constraints that would make it difficult. I know some people say they wouldn't mind but their families would strongly object. Though I have to admit I think of that as more a cop out than anything else.

But I can imagine how it wouldn't be fair to put a child in an environment that would be totally hostile to them. Thanks for the comment.