Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Resolutions?

I don’t normally make resolutions. I’m not really good at managing multiple things in my life. OK, that makes me sound like an incompetent idiot. Although I am a wicked multi-tasker when it comes to simultaneous work activities, PB and I tend to have serious issues managing more than one area of the big picture. So we’ll get our finances together for a while but our relationship will suffer. Or we’ll see a lot of old friends but our house will become a pit. Or we’ll focus on foster to adopt and forget the whole infertility thing. Or we’ll focus on infertility and ignore everything else. You get the picture.

But this year, I’m going to try again. I realize that I simply have to learn how to lose my tunnel vision, and think about all the big areas of my life simultaneously. Borrowing from my good friend R., I’m going to have three New Year’s Resolutions.

  1. Get in better shape. Note that I’m not focusing on weight here. This has simply not worked for me in the past. But I’m at the point (and the age) where my weight is going to mean serious consequences for my health. In fact, I suspect it may already be affecting my fertility. I am smart enough to know that I need to take control of this area of my life. So my resolution is to try to eat more healthily and to exercise at least 2X per week.*
  2. Reevaluate how a family best fits into our lives. By this I mean, consider the range of options, including domestic infant adoption, adopting older children, trying a few cycles of injectibles (our next stop on the infertility train) and not having children at all, either because we foster in the long term, or because we give up and take up some really absorbing hobby, like travel**
  3. Take some kind of vacation with PB. We didn’t vacation at all last year. Our last big trip was in March, 2003 with R and Dr. Mark to Hawaii. Last year we had one weekend in a cabin, here in Ohio. We need a getaway and at least this resolution will be fun!


So there are my resolutions. Anyone want to share theirs?


*Note: this will begin next week along with my complementary gym membership… I need to get Dae-Dae settled into a daycare routine before I can go to the gym before work.

**Yeah, I really doubt that PB will go for the whole child-free lifestyle. Not that I can blame him – he is a great dad. And who knows, maybe the reason I am so willing to put it on the table is that it will likely be rejected?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there, like you blog. I could not conceive for the longest time... until I lost thirty-four pounds. And was pregnant within three months. I'd heard that excess body weight can actually inhibit pregnancy, particularly in women under 5'8" in height. My son is now four years old and I plan on having another child if possible in the next few years. I joined a local gym and worked all the ezxcess weight I was carrying for years off within a few months. It sure worked for me! Good luck :)

Amanda said...

Good luck trying for your next one, anon... and thanks for the personal experience. It's definitely an issue, although I've been trying to ignore it for far too long :-)

Ahauna said...

Just popping in to say Hi! I read your post on my blog and wanted to check out yours. Off to read and get to know you, too. :D

Kristin