Thursday, December 14, 2006

It's over.

We packed up all his stuff last night and dropped him off at Grandma's house - mom was working and couldn't get the night off, but Grandma told us over and over how grateful she was for what we had done and how sorry she was that we were going through this. I told her not to apologize, because it's our job.

The packing was the worst part. Luckily, PB was great (as he always is) and coordinated me - it's funny because it's usually the other way around.

My parents made it over to say goodbye and that was hard too - I feel so badly for involving other people in the situation and putting them through this too. I mean, I know this was their choice and I know that I didn't ask them to get so attached to him, but I also know that if he wasn't with us, they wouldn't be going through this pain.

Anyway, a v. small part of me is relieved, to be honest. We've known this is how it would end up for a while and I'm so glad he went home before he was old enough to really miss us. Plus, he'll get to spend his first Christmas with his mom. Waking up in the middle of the night in a panic because he hadn't woken and needed to eat? Yeah, that kind of sucked.

Speaking of, I was wrong in the last post. Mom gets him during the week and dad on weekends.

2 comments:

Yondalla said...

I know the feeling -- that strange moment when you wake up with enough sleep and feel good because you are not tired for the first time in a long time and then remember that the reason that you are rested is that he is gone.

Hmm...over-identify much?

Maerlowe said...

I'm so sorry.