Wednesday, November 29, 2006

My Favorite Pieces of Assvice

In the spirit of the holiday season, please sing to yourself from Julie Andrew's classic number from The Sound of Music. Picture rich, but miserable children dancing on beds in the thunderstorm.

Now that you’re fostering, you’ll surely get pregnant.
Chinese girls are cute
You could always adopt one…

When God Closes a Door….
Just relax!
Take a vacation.
Whatever you do don’t let hubby wear boxers.

Everything happens
to you for a reason
Even though it sucks.
I simply remember my favorite assvices.
And then I don’t feel…. So… bad….. (sung triumphantly)

It really is funny that people totally feel the need to offer you unsolicited advice. Completely unsolicited. I once got advice from the lady giving me a pedi when she overheard my conversation with a friend.

Generally I try to chalk it up to people being helpful, and most days I’m OK dealing with it. Other days it inspires me to create masterpieces like the one above :-)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uh oh.... well meaning advice again?


Well, if I were you....

Just kidding. You know you can slap us if we do that stuff, right?

Renee said...

hows the litte one? an update soon?

Amanda said...

Anon -

Ahh, it's not too terrible (the advice) for some reason I couldn't get the idea of a Christmas diddy in my snarky tone out of my head so I went with it.

Amanda said...

Renee --

See new post :-)

Anonymous said...

My favorites

"I could never foster. I'd get too attached and wouldn't be able to let them go."

"Are you sure you want foster kids, they have issues you know."

and of course the usual

"You're gonna get pregnant now that you're adopting, no I'm serious."

Why can't they just say something like, "I know it sucks, I'm sorry you have to go through that."

Amanda said...

Dream Mommy - those are good ones, too. I love the implication that we must be robots to foster, like we don't get attached and that's why we can do it.