Thursday, October 12, 2006

So I am totally not psychic but my mom is

On October 5, 2005 we got a call that changed our entire lives...

Yep, our first placement. 10 days after our license was issued. For a perfect, adorable, lovable brand new baby boy. It was predicted by my mother (hence the title of the post).

I got the call at work. I thought they just needed me to do more paperwork or were calling to introduce themselves. She told me she was calling from the "placement" department but I had no idea she meant actual placement. So I said, "Yes, what can I do for you?" And she said, "I'm calling to see if you'd be interested in an infant placement." I was literally shaking and couldn't breathe and asked her to repeat herself twice - I'm sure she loved that.

He is a safe haven baby, born to a very young mom whose parents didn't know she was pregnant. She brought him to the hospital 8 - 12 hours after delivery and surrendered him. It is not clear if she wants to pursue custody. I really, truly feel horrible for her.

We got to visit him all weekend at the hospital and we brought him home on Monday night. PB is the most amazing father ever - I knew that I loved him and I knew that having a baby would change us but I didn't know it would happen this fast. And I didn't know that I would see an even gentler, more loving, more beautiful version of him. The things you learn.

Have I mentioned that he is adorable and lovable and brand new?

1 comment:

FosterMommy said...

there's nothing better than that first placement. they drop off the baby and "bam", you're parents.

but, don't worry, the subsequent placement calls are pretty darn exciting, too.

enjoy your little babe while you have him! and sniff that newborn head for me, okay? :)