Sunday, August 20, 2006

Takin' Care of Business

So today, PB, Mom, Dad and I readied the house for our final home inspection. Much fun was had replacing outlets and plug covers, putting up trim in the room-I'm not-calling-a-nursery and general scrubbing and crap sorting / throwing away.

Which, now that I mention it, can we stop for just a minute and appreciate how much junk PB and I are capable of accumulating? I seriously don't understand how it happens... Then again, maybe I do. Every time we move (and that's 4 times in the last 6 years) we have this conversation:

PB: So, we're not taking anything we don't need right?

Me: No. Nothing we don't need. [Nods head firmly]

Skip two days forward to actual packing...

PB: OK. I've found 4 packages of small binder clips. I don't think we need 4 packages of small binder clips.

Me: What do you mean? These are perfectly good binder claps [Alternately insert item we definitely don't need, but I just can't bear to throw away.

I feel encumbered by my stuff. Seriously, I look around my house and think, "God, how can I possibly have this much stuff??" I gaze longingly at websites devoted to modern design. I drool over the latest beautifully-Swedish, minimalist baby furniture. Yet, I still have too much stuff. Don't get me wrong - I'm not a hoarder, I don't have dirty, nasty stuff. Or 7 million of a clean, nice collectible. But I do definitely have more than my fair share of stuff.

What to do?

My only solution thus far has been to sell everything I own and live as the gypsies did - with only the stuff you can carry in a smallish, wooden wagon. Guess that makes me an all-or-nothing type of girl, huh?

No comments: